Celebrating 21 years

Ford Duratec Installation and Tuning

Page 3

Last Updated on March 28 2017

This page is dedicated to the Ford Duratec DHE420 engine and my attempt to install it in the Mk1 Ford Fiesta.

January 2010

Built the dashboard up this month and did some more work to the wiring.
Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Dashboard prototype Dashboard prototype Wiring progress Dashboard connector Dashboard connector Control box Control box Control box

February 2010

Finished off the dashboard wiring.
Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard Zetecinside Dashboard

March 2010

Received the drive shaft from Commercial Propshaft Services, and did some more work to the dashboard mounts. Fitted the Titans to the engine following the Cosworth Caterham build manual procedures. And there's a video of the dashboard being put through its paces.

Engine bay Engine bay Shot of underneath the front spoiler, much cleaner than the old Zetec The front grill with radiator and throttle bodies on view ECU Wiring ECU Wiring My carbon dashboard Throttle bodies Throttle bodies Throttle bodies Throttle bodies Throttle bodies Throttle bodies Dashboard complete Dashboard complete Engine bay with VW header tank refitted Dashboard stay Electrics Dashboard

April 2010

Fitted the gear selector cables. And videos of the injectors and sparks working for the first time. And I changed the cam cover for one that house fixings for the COPs. Changed the throttle position sensor for the 5110-130 sprung shaft type for the Titans (The one shown in the picture is the RP5130-130 from Active Sensors. The 5130 does not have a sprung shaft and is therefore not suitable.)

RP5130 throttle position sensor Gear linkage fitting Gear linkages connected Gear linkages connected Gear linkages connected Gear linkages connected Gear linkages connected COP Cam Cover COP Cam Cover Cam Cover removed

May 2010

This month the car was trailered to SFS to have a fitting session for the water hoses, and the new driveshaft arrived, plus I aligned the crank sensor pulley.

Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Back from the trip to Luton Fitting the crank sensor Fitting the crank sensor Fitting the crank sensor Fitting the crank sensor New driveshaft New driveshaft Fuel system plumbed in Fuel system plumbed in Clutch slave issues Lambda sensor installation

June 2010

This month I realised that I couldn't use the BC trilobe housing, as it simply didn't seat correctly in the gearbox, and I sourced a hose for the hydraulic clutch.

IB5 vs BC output cup IB5 vs BC output cup Clutch hose Off the ground

July 2010

This month I modifed the rear brake pad back plates to allow them to fit against the brake disks.
Modifying the rear pads Modifying the rear pads Modifying the rear pads

August 2010

This month the car was tuned on the rolling road, and it produced 200bhp.
Dyno plot
Dyno session Dyno session Dyno session Dyno session Dyno session Dyno session

February 2011

I splashed out on a Quaife Sequential Gearbox in February, I must be mad, as it required modified front suspension, and a bit more wiring!